Thursday, February 23, 2012

New Kingswood Teppan Steak House - San Gabriel, CA

So L and I was trying to figure out what to eat for dinner one night, and we wanted something different from our usual choices. I ended up suggesting this place. I've been here before, but L has yet to try it. Basically New Kingswood is like Benihana, with both doing a teppanyaki styled meal. For those who don't know, teppanyaki comes from Japan. Teppan meaning iron plate and yaki meaning grilled or pan fried. So put it together and teppanyaki means pan frying/grilling on an iron plate.
Our teppan
We had to share the table with a family. Man did those kids eat... I tried to take a picture without the kid, not much luck there.
Our chef
Our chef did little to interact with us. Maybe it was because the other party had like 3 kids. He probably figured that the kids would get more of a kick out of his little tricks. *tsk tsk* The kids could have cared less... L and I were more interested in his show.. The kids were more interested in their DS.
Veggies
 I always loved eating the vegetables. I totally need it to balance out all the meat. The vegetables included mushrooms, beansprouts, zucchini, squash, and onions. It was sauteed perfectly. I would come here just for the vegetables!
Scallop and Steak
 I ordered the scallop and steak combo. The meat was the first to be cooked, and I am one to wait for my entire meal to be ready before I start, so when the chef finished the vegetables, which was about 10 minutes after the meat, the steak and scallop wasn't as hot as I liked them to be. The meal was good nonetheless. The steak was cooked in garlic (lots of it) and black pepper sauce. The scallop was just cooked with garlic and butter.
Steak and Fish
I forgot what fish it was specifically that L ordered. She couldn't wait for the vegetables, so she started to eat. I had to stop her to take a picture! The fish was pretty good. I just didn't like the teriyaki sauce they put on it. L also got her steak cooked with garlic and black pepper sauce. 
Our failed volcano
I assume many of these teppan places do the volcano. I heard Benihana does it too, but I've never been so I couldn't tell you from firsthand experience. The volcano failed right after he lit it, so we didn't get to see the whole fire and steam event. O wells...

Overall, this place isn't too bad. I do notice that a lot of butter is used throughout the meal. If you like butter than go for it, but if not I'm pretty sure you can ask for them to use regular cooking oil or something. The other section to the restaurant is an all you can eat hot pot place. I have never tried their hot pot, so I wouldn't be able to comment on it. 

New Kingswood Teppan Steak House
250 W Valley Blvd Ste L
San Gabriel, CA 91776

Laters~
R

No comments:

Post a Comment